Sunday, May 22, 2011

Living Debt Free

A few months ago, I was able to pay off my student loans from college.  It was a proud moment, filled with hard work, long hours and tears, but I can happily say that I am debt free with the exception of my house.  It wasn't one of those things I threw on my facebook status because I didn't want it to sound like bragging.  In the weeks that followed, I kept getting the happy bubble welling up in my chest that I accomplished a big financial goal.

By accomplishing that goal, it also caused me to reflect on how God has provided for me.  The biggest provision is how I am already living debt free regardless of my financial state.  Jesus humbled himself on the cross for me and you, taking the sin of the world upon his shoulders.  How humbling it is to be reminded of that self-less act and the daily thanks I need to be giving for my free gift of eternal life.  I also started reviewing my journey of my adulthood so far and realized that the plan God has for me does have a purpose, even if it is to pay off undergrad loans!  I lived at home through college and even my first year of teaching (part time teachers don't make much) and I put up with the teasing that came along with that.  But, when the time came, I was able to skip the renting phase and purchase a home when the housing market was at a pretty low point.  Since then, God has continued to provide for me.

"Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?"  Matthew 6:26

2 comments:

PlainJane said...

Congrats Megan! That is an amazing feat and not one to take lightly!! Keep up the good work!

Julie T. said...

Love it! Great job, it takes commitment and discipline. I'm proud of you.

Post a Comment